Boro in derby day disaster
Game 21 and a visit to our nearest rivals, Kettering.
This week saw Boro travel to 2nd placed Kettering, recent league form suggested that this was going to be a closely fought match. Boro made a number of changes from their last league fixture with Dan Pateman coming into the second row. Both flankers were changed with Jezz Brookes and Joel Smith starting, the backline saw a number of changes with Freddie Davidson replacing an injured Jason Minney at inside centre and Tom Mair started at full back.
(I was running touch again so the match notes are from the chairman which I will copy out!!!)
- Boro slow start, although Boro kept the ball well for the first ten minutes but then they spent most of the opening quarter defending
- Pushover try for Kettering, converted (Kett 7v0 Boro)
- 23 mins, 2nd try out wide on the right wing after a missed tackle, missed conversion (Kett 12v0 Boro)
- High tackle on Matt Ellson, penalty to Boro. Another penalty awarded after not releasing, this time some good mauling then carrying from Chris Shipman, Matt Ellson and Shaun Mackie saw Boro awarded another penalty in range which Pete Vickers scored (Kett 12v3 Boro)
- From the kick off Kettering gather ball and a couple of offloads later Kettering increase their lead (Kett 17v3 Boro)
- JC yellow card tackling within 10m after quick tap penalty
Kettering 17 v 3 Wellingborough
- Try straight after kick off, great line by Shaun Mackie saw him scythe through a gap to bring Boro close, conversion scored (Kett 17v10 Boro)
- Next series of play saw Boro concede a penalty, tackler not releasing, Kettering lineout try in left hand corner (Kett 22v10 Boro)
- And back came Boro, pick and go after a penalty in the Kettering 22, yards made by Chris Shipman, quick recycle and try for Pete Vickers to the left hand side of the posts (Kett 22v17 Boro), back in the game
- 15 mins to go penalty conceded in front of posts after high tackle (Kett 25v17 Boro)
- Then...try from Kettering in left hand corner (Kett 32v17 Boro)
- And try after a series of missed tackles (Kett 39v17 Boro)
- And finally try from Kettering 15 running straight through team (Kett 44v17 Boro)
Kettering 44 v 17 Wellingborough
And there's the match report through the eye of the chairman! To add to this its fair to say Boro only really played well for 20 minutes after half time, in which time they managed to drag themselves back within 5 points, the turning point was a dubious penalty in the far corner which allowed Kettering to score, and then the unacceptable collapse occurred!
This weeks sees a return to Friday Night Lights and the visit of ONs, both teams desperately need a win to bounce back from this week's losses, its going to be hard week in training.