1st XV Report - Sat 19th Jan 2008 v Lutterworth Print E-mail

Lutterworth 12 - 16 Wellingborough

Wellingborough went to Lutterworth knowing that they had to come away with nothing less than a win to keep the pressure on the league leaders.  The wet conditions were always going to make it difficult for them and Lutterworth applied all the early pressure through their forwards.  Keir Davidson was the first casualty, having to be replaced after 7 minutes.  The home side had all the territorial advantage but Wellingborough's defence held out. After 20 minutes a break in midfield with Pete Gilbey coming into the line off his wing set up the first attacking position for the visitors.  After a scrum and 3 phases producing quick ball Steven Gall broke through to score near the posts.  Peter Vickers converted.

Once again Lutterworth pinned Wellingborough back in their own half but an indiscretion in the ruck allowed Peter Vickers to step up and convert a penalty to increase the lead.  This fired Lutterworth up even more and the next 10 minutes were spent in the visitors 22.  The scrummage by this time was being totally dominated by the home side and from a 5 metre scrum the back row drove over to score on the stroke of half time.

Turning round 10 - 5 up, Wellingborough did have the advantage of the wind for the 2nd half but Lutterworth's forward domination was the telling factor.  After another lengthy period spent in the visitors 22 they drove the scrummage over for a pushover try which was converted.

Wellingborough immediately struck back with another penalty from Peter Vickers as they clawed their way back into the home side's half.  At 13 - 12 it was a slender lead and Wellingborough had their work cut out.  The relentless pressure they suffered in the scrummage, particularly from the Lutterworth tight head prop eventually told and Matt Sanders (who was already a replacement) had to leave the field in the 63rd minute. The resulting uncontested scrums thus negated the Lutterworth dominance in this area and Wellingborough grew in confidence from the relief.  This was further enhanced when Lutterworth missed a relatively easy penalty almost immediately afterwards.

The final act saw Wellingborough take advantage of another indiscretion in the ruck by Lutterworth and Peter Vickers once again clinically converted the penalty to bring the final score to 16 - 12 in their favour.  There was no time left for a very disappointed home side to come back and Wellingborough went home relieved.

Higgins man of the match: Peter Vickers

< Prev   Next >