1st XV Report - Sat 2nd Feb 2008 v OGs (E Northants Cup) Print E-mail

Wellingborough OGs 0 - 73 Wellingborough RFC

This eagerly awaited clash of the two Wellingborough Clubs in the East Northants Semi-Final provided an interesting contrast of play.  The OGs were determined to challenge Wellingborough as much as they could and took the game to them from the first whistle. Wellingborough pinned the OGs in their own 22 for 20 minutes but through a series of dropped passes and incorrect decisions just could not score.  However, the frustration was relieved when Joe Marston came in to the line off his wing and cut through to score under the posts. Peter Vickers converted and once again Wellingborough spent time in the OGs 22.

The OGs tackling was still keeping the visitors at bay but eventually the pressure told and Chris Mears broke the line and fed Dominic Smart to score the first of his 3 tries.  The other two came quickly after this one through a simple run in for one and a well timed cross kick from Peter Vickers for the other.  With all but one try converted the half time score stood at 26 - 0 to Wellingborough and Dominic was replaced with Peter Gilbey.

OGs could be forgiven for thinking that they would have the advantage of the wind in the second half but Wellingborough had other ideas often running out from their own 22 and gaining great distances.  Kyle Danns started at least two of these counter attacks and after some inter-passing Joe Marston finished both of them off to complete his hatrick.  Karl McAndrew had by this time come on as a replacement and he also broke through to touch down.  By now the Wellingborough backs were enjoying some free running and Joe Marston was demonstrating the art of stepping off both feet to finish off breaks from the midfield scoring two more tries to take his tally to 5 for the afternoon.

Not to be outdone, both Peter Gilbey and Karl McAndrew were rewarded for some great support work and were on hand to pick up a scoring pass each.  This brought the number of tries to 11 and Peter Vickers rubbed salt into the wounds by converting all but 2 of them.  The final score of 73 - 0 to Wellingborough was a testament to the way in which everyone on the team supported each other in a game in which at first it was difficult to overcome the OGs gritty determination.

Higgins Man of the Match: Joe Marston

Last Updated ( Saturday, 02 February 2008 )
< Prev   Next >