1st Xv Report - Sat 9th Feb 2008 v Leicester Vipers Print E-mail

Leicester Vipers 0 - 50 Wellingborough

After cruising to a 0-73 victory over neighbours OG's last Saturday, it was more of the same for Wellingborough this week as they returned to league action away at Leicester Vipers.

Having beaten Vipers 49-7 earlier in the season Boro were confident going into this game and the 0-50 scoreline reflected the difference in class between the two sides.

Winger Dom Smart who scored six tries against Vipers earlier in the year notched-up a further hat-trick inside 18 minutes. Smart's first try came courtesy of quick turnover ball from the pack which was spread wide and sillky hands from Steven Gall slipped to Smart coming in off his wing to touch down.

His second followed shortly afterwards when Boro were awarded a penalty on Vipers' 5 metre line.  Boro opted for a scrum and from the quick ball, fly half Pete Vickers' clever inside pass saw Smart run in unopposed.

Boro's free running back line set up his third with Gall once again, drawing three defenders before slipping the ball to Smart to touch down. Pete Vickers was accurate with all three conversions.

With Boro dominating the line out via Nick Murphy and Andy Fordham, Vipers were starved of any possession and following a further free flowing move, Smart once again looked to be in.  With not enough gas on this occassion to beat his man, he popped inside to John Cartwright for the openside to touch down and mark another impressive performance.

There was time for another before the break and Steven Gall obliged, making a break from the halfway line and showing a clean pair of heels to touch down under the posts, Vickers adding the conversion to make it 0-33 at the interval.

Despite being well on top however, it took Boro 20 minutes into the second half to register another score.  Some poor decision making and poor kicking to touch saw Boro surrender a great deal of possession and the crowd were almost relieved when Gall broke the deadlock after the ball was finally shipped wide, Vickers adding the conversion.

Gall could have completed a hat trick when after five phases of play Boro were presented with a huge overlap however, he chose to pass to Karl McAndrew who touched down under the posts for an easy conversion to Vickers.

As the game approched the final minute, Vickers elected to kick a penalty and notch-up the half century to round off a convincing win.

Club Captain Dudley Cross said "I can't quite believe that we've come away from home and scored 50 points without reply and yet the feeling in the dressing room is that we should have done better.  Our pack dominated everything today and we took the majority of our chances but we still only played for 60 minutes; that said - if you'd have offered me 50-nil at two o'clock I'd have taken it and it keeps the pressure on Leighton Buzzard."

Croyland Car Megastore Man of the Match: Steven Gall

< Prev   Next >