1st XV Report - Sat 1st March 2008 v Huntingdon Print E-mail

Huntingdon 0 - 31 Wellingborough

Wellingborough knew they had to win this game well to keep up the pressure on the league leaders. They also knew they'd be faced with a narrow pitch and would have to change their game plan to overcome the home side's advantage.  They did both in a fine display of adapting to the conditions and showing their superiority.

Within 7 minutes early pressure on the home side realised a penalty and Peter Vickers obligingly stepped up to open the scoring.  Huntingdon then took the game to Wellingborough with their expected tactics of pick and drive but the Wellingborough defence ensured they were going nowhere.  After 17 minutes the home side's No 7 was penalised for offside at a ruck gaining a yellow card into the bargain and Peter Vickers again converted the penalty.

Wellingborough were not to be intimidated by the home forwards and from a 5 metre scrum drove them back into touch.  From the Line-out they drove them infield and then calmly switched play to the blind side to feed Joe Marston for his first try.  Peter Vickers kicked the conversion from the touchline.  Not 5 minutes later Wellingborough again dominated a fifteen metre scrum and Kyle Danns was on hand in the 2nd phase to break through for the score.  By this time Kyle was everywhere and picked up a yellow card for handling in the ruck which meant that the home side could get back to some sort of parity for the remaining 10 minutes of the half.

The second half though was more of the same to start with.  Wellingborough broke through the centre through Craig Hughes who set up the next phase and the ball was moved out to Joe Marston who went over for his second try.  The visitors were on top now and Kyle Danns was disappointed to be denied a try after several phases of play only to be brought back for a penalty, the advantage obviously being ignored.  Peter Vickers duly kicked the penalty and settled for the 3 points.

The game lost its zest for a while with neither side getting much advantage but in the final 5 minutes Wellingborough stepped up a gear and stormed upfield.  After several phases of play Dom Smart finished it off with a short dash for the line for the final try and the away supporters were well pleased with the final score of 31 - 0

Higgins Man of the Match: Kyle Danns 


< Prev   Next >