1st XV Report - Sat 4th Oct 2008 v Market Bosworth Print

Wellingborough 29 - 30 Market Bosworth

Wellingborough were left reeling from an ill disciplined second half performance at Cut Throat Lane which saw them pipped at the final whistle in a contest which they should have put to bed before the break.
With both Boro and their visitors, Market Bosworth without a point in the league at kick off, both sides had targeted this fixture as a "must win" however, with home advantage Boro were desperate to register their first points of the season.
Things didn't start well when from the kick off, Bosworth's fly half passed neatly inside to their blind side winger who waltzed through a non-existent defence to touch down ringing some early alarm bells for Boro however, some good passing play in the back line saw a speedy response from Karl McAndrew who put in a spirited performance at full back.
Playing in some windy conditions good ball from the pack again, set up the back line and with centre Craig Hughes returning to add some bulk to the attack, he kept Bosworth's mid-field busy whilst Rob Armstrong finished off some good hands to score out wide.
With Boro now in the ascendancy, good work on the wing with some strong running from Tom Meyer saw tries for flanker Jamal Hussain and a second for McAndrew, the latter being converted by Joel Dyer.
Boro then however, sensing the half time whistle relaxed and started to infringe. Stand off Rob Armstrong was sent to the bin just before the break and the visitors made the most of their advantage by crashing over following a determined forward effort to reduce the gap to 22-13 at the break.
The second half started much in the same way as the first with Boro caught napping to allow a simple converted try beneath the posts however, they responded almost immediately through a determined run by Tom Meyer which was converted again by Dyer.
Having held a lead since the 8th minute Boro should then have closed this game out however, further ill discipline saw penalty after penalty awarded against them and Jon Cartwright was sent to the bin after repeated warnings - the actual decision appearing harsh but with the penalty count well into double figures it was only a matter of time before someone visited the bin.  Boro were then hit with a double whammy of loosing skipper Steven Gall to an ankle injury and second row Kyle Danns to a dislocated elbow.
The visitors piled on the pressure up front and with Boro's only resistance coming from No 8 Liam O'Neill and second row Andy Fordham - both of whom chased and tackled all afternoon, Bosworth scored again under the posts to set up a thrilling final five minutes.
It inevitably looked as though Boro would give the game away to a penalty kick however, when what looked like the last opportunity to win the game was missed by the visitors, they could have been saved however, instead of touching down the missed goal attempt and taking a 22, Boro naively elected to run back at their opposition.  A further infringement followed and with the last kick of the game, the visitors stole the victory and a very valuable two league points.
With four losses in as many games, Boro are the only team in the league with no points and in a game which they would have closed out before the break last season, it's looks as though they may have forgotten how to win.
< Prev   Next >