1st XV Report - Sat 17th Oct 2009 v Leighton Buzzard (A) Print E-mail

Leighton Buzzard 17 v 19 Wellingborough


Wellingborough continue their improvement in recent weeks and record their first win at Leighton Buzzard.

Wellingborough were forced into making 2 late changes, from the selection;  James Rennie front row, and Joel Dyer in on the eleventh hour for Rob Armstrong, at scrum half.

Playing up the slope Wellingborough dominated play for the majority of the half putting their hosts under sustained pressure through the driving runs of Kyle Danns and Richard Mallard, but from all this pressure Wellingborough failed to convert pressure into points.

It wasn’t until the 35th minute and from broken play, the man of the match Steven Gall, scored the first of his 3 intercepted tries, running from the Leighton Buzzard 10 metre line slicing a line through a congested midfield and slotting the touchdown under the posts.  The trusty boot of Joel Dyer added the conversion to make the half time score 7 nil.

At the start of the second half Wellingborough were unable to continue where they finished the first half and allowed Leighton Buzzard to score a converted try through their driving forwards.

As the game started to open up Leighton Buzzard forwards were gaining the upper hand in the break down and in the scrum but from all their possession Leighton Buzzard ¾’s  wasted the attacking options, from missed passes and dropped balls.

Wellingborough made two changes, in the 50th minute, Paul Campbell for Richard Mallard and Mat Sanders for John Cartwright, but remained under intense pressure from the Leighton Buzzard pack.

 On the 52minute Wellingborough kicked to clear their lines and forced Leighton Buzzard to play out of their 22, Leighton Buzzard backs decided to run out of defence when Steven Gall, from excellent pressure intercepted for his second try in the corner for an unconverted try.

Leighton immediately from the kick off drove into the heart of Wellingborough 22 and after a number of strong attacking plays scored a converted wide out through their ¾’s.

Wellingborough refused to back down, unlike in previous weeks, upping the tempo mounting a sustained pressure from the restart, in the 63rd minute Steven Gall made the 3rd telling interception for his 3rd try splitting the defence in 2 for a score under the post, Joel Dyer converting.

Leighton Buzzard were not finished and scored wide out with an unconverted try 10 minutes from time, and unlike in previous weeks, Wellingborough finished the stronger.


< Prev   Next >