1st XV Report - Sat 7th Nov 2009 v S & L (H) Print E-mail

Wellingborough 44 v 17 Stewarts & Lloyds


The contest was to all intents and purposes, over by half time with Wellingborough dominating in all phases of the game, running up a score line of 32-0. The side had 5 enforced changes throughout the team from the previous week but they were rampant, clinical and aggressive at the breakdown winning key 50 - 50 balls. This gave them the platform for their free running backs and with Kyle Danns (man of the match) leading the pack from the front, scoring 3 first half tries, it made Wellingborough look a very formidable side to play.

Playing up the slope in perfect conditions, Wellingborough had players stepping up to the challenge from the previous week and they opened up their account in the 8th minute with Danns going over from a driving Wellingborough pack (5-0). The home side continued mounting the pressure and in the 14th minute S&L lost their No8, Ironmonger, after a rush of blood resulting in being sin binned after an altercation with the Wellingborough scrum half Bryan.

Wellingborough capitalised on having the extra man released, Danns again making a driving run from a scrum to score, with the conversion added by Pete Vickers (12-0). The man advantage told again, when Vickers landed a 40 metre penalty just before the return of Ironmonger pushing the score to 15-0.

Dan FitzHugh on his way to the line
The home side pushed on and score a further try, after a well work move between forwards and backs releasing right wing Dan Fitzhugh to score under the posts.  Unfortunately Vickers was unable to add the conversion after the ball rattled the top of the post.

In the 34 minute Danns scored his 3rd try again after some excellent work from the Wellingborough forwards and this time it was followed by a successful conversion from Vickers (27-0).  A further score before half time brought the score to 32-0

The second half did not start how it finished, with S&L beginning to gain the upper hand by bullying Wellingborough into some forced errors. To Wellingborough’s credit they defended stoutly, thwarting S&L until the 61st minute when Crooks forced a score, which remained unconverted (32-5).

Wellingborough failed to respond to the S&L pressure allowing S&L to score a well worked move between forwards and backs with Griffiths going over wide out and Crooks adding the conversion (32-12).

This spurred Wellingborough into a response with 2 tries in 3 minutes, one a piece from wings, Dan Fitzhugh in the 33rd minute, and Dom Smart in the 36th minute. Fitzhugh scored his second try of the game using his pace to catch a perfect chip from Pete Vickers and Smart scored under the posts from an orchestrated precision move coming in from his wing.  It was converted by Vickers (44-12).

To S&L’s credit, they pressurised again and scored in the very last minute of the game through their left wing Bowman, making the final score 44-17.

This was altogether a better display from Wellingborough although their tendency to ease off in the 2nd half  needs addressing before it costs them dearly.


< Prev   Next >