1st XV Report - Sat 14th Nov 2009 v Market Bosworth (A) Print E-mail

Market Bosworth 12 v 14 Wellingborough

Wellingborough recorded back to back victories for the first time in 18 months as they beat Market Bosworth 14-12 in Midlands 1 (East) on Saturday.

Both teams had to battle the elements as strong winds and rain put on hold any form of free flowing rugby. Borough opened the scoring with a penalty from Pete Vickers and the Captain then added another from 45 metre’s out soon after. The visitors continued to attack with Vickers combining well with Steven Gall and Tom Meyer but they could not cross Bosworth’s line. As half time approached Borough were forced to produce some sterling defensive work as they had two players sent to the sin bin. First Hooker Adam Lambert was punished for a professional foul and he was soon followed by his front row partner Lee Lawrence after a scuffle with his opposite number. Despite this Borough managed to hold off three scrums and four line outs from 5 metre’s out and went into half time 6 nil up.

For the first twenty five minutes of the first half both teams matched each other equally as the referee made poor decision after poor decision against both teams which spoiled the game. The deadlock was broken by the home side who drove the Borough forwards back twenty metre’s during a rolling maul and crossed for the first time of the game but they failed to go ahead as the conversion drifted wide. Minutes later Borough span the ball wide and replacement wing Jason Minney kicked the ball down field and as the opposition wing went to gather the kick, Gall managed to kick the ball off the floor and touch down to score. Vickers was just off target with the conversion.

Bosworth again hit back in the visitors 22 metre and another rolling maul was driven over and the resulting conversion put them ahead for the first time in the game.

With 5 minutes remaining Borough kicked off short which was gathered by Kyle Danns and the ball was spun wide through the backs as they set up a good attacking platform 15 metres from the home side’s line. With the forwards running good lines off scrum half Jack Bryan, Borough pressed for a try but it would not come. With 2 minutes left Bryan passed to Vickers in the pocket who slotted over a drop goal to edge them back in front. Borough’s pack was able to secure the ball from the restart and the referee blew for full time soon after.

In a game that was ruined by poor refereeing decisions Wellingborough showed great commitment throughout and deserved the win. Simon Driver was Man of The Match after a great performance for the second week on the bounce. 



< Prev   Next >